Versions Compared


  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

An honorarium is a payment to an individual for services (speaking at a conference, participating in research, providing expertise, etc). HBP has an overview of the entire process in Part 12, Independent Contractors. Payments of this kind must be authorized by the university in advance of the event. Requesting payments after the event has taken place will require a purchasing exception. Please review the sections below to view details for each step in the process. There is a PDF presentation of this material. 


titleSet up Payee as a Vendor

Search for the guest in our vendor system to determine next steps.

  • To search for guest to determine if payee is already a vendor in our system:
    • Use GG3/GG4 screens in Define (step-by-step instructions
      • GG3 - view vendors by name
      • GG4 - view vendors by EID
    • Or use the vendor search in UT Direct
  • If record exists, note the EID; if not launch a Payee Information Form (PIF)

Payee Information Form (PIF) is a UT form that is a substitute form for IRS W-9.

PIF can be launched as a DocuSign Powerform (recommended) or can be submitted as a PDF. Step-by-step instructions are here.

Once the PIF is completed, staff creates a GGV document in Define. This step will create the guest's EID.

  • The Vendor ID Office has a "tips" page and step-by-step instructions. Our friends at CBS created a video (using a fake EID) to show the basic steps.
  • Note the Doc ID and EID created. Once document is final approved, you will receive an FYI copy to your YB2 inbox.

Complete the Employee/Independent Contractor Classification Checklist (EICCC) online form in UT Direct. This form determines whether the guest should be paid through payroll or via other payment methods. Save a PDF copy to submit with payment paperwork.


titleAuthorization of Payment

Honorarium payments must be authorized by the University in advance of service date by Purchase Order (POINT Plus), signed Business Contract, or Exempted Services Authorization Form (ESAF). See HBP Part 12.2 Authorizations and PO vs Contract Matrix to determine the best authorization mechanism. Click the sections below to learn more about each option.


A contract is required when: 

  • An individual requires their contract be signed by University.
  • An individual is making a presentation or speech that will be recorded. 
  • An individual requires special terms or conditions, such as travel arrangements that cannot meet the University’s Travel Accountable Plans rules or reimbursement limits per HBP Part 11. Travel.
  • An individual is a foreign person without a U.S. Tax Number.

Read the agreements on the Business Contracts website to determine which situation is yours. Complete the BCRC, services agreement, and follow your normal submission procedure Contracts+ or use the COLA submission form.

titleExempted Services Authorization Form

An ESAF can be used in these circumstances: 

  • An event judge or referee.
  • Attendance at a workshop or conference.
  • K-12 Teacher Mentors / Field Supervisors.
  • Advisory Board Members.
  • Workshop / Conference Speakers / Trainers. 
  • Spousal or family travel for a prospective employee. 

Note that an ESAF cannot be used if the individual is a foreign person. 

titlePurchase Order

If not a business contract or ESAF, you’ll use a Purchase Order (PO):